Blackheads look like black dots that have formed on your skin. Blackheads are called open comedones. Comedones are the skin-coloured bumps that form when you have a pimple. In the case of blackheads, these comedones consist of follicles beneath your skin with very large openings, or pores.
Whiteheads are known as closed comedones. The follicles beneath your skin become filled with bacteria and have a very small opening at the top of your skin. The bacteria inside of it doesn’t undergo a chemical reaction, so it stays white in colour. This type of acne is also found on your back, shoulders, and face.
Blackheads and whiteheads are the building blocks for acne. They occur when dead skin, debris, and sebum (a.k.a. oil) get trapped in your pores. The difference between blackheads and whiteheads is that blackheads are open to the air which makes them turn black and whiteheads generally have a thin cover over them and are not exposed to the air, so they remain white.
These clogged pores attract acne-causing bacteria, and that is when you will get those papules, pustules, nodules and cysts—what we all know as pimples!
If you struggle with blackheads and whiteheads, you are going to want to double-down on keeping your pores unclogged. Besides cleansing two times a day, you should make sure all of your cosmetics and skin-care products are non-comedogenic (meaning they are formulated NOT to clog the pores) and be sure to use a proper exfoliator.
The following strategies can help to treat and prevent breakouts:
- wash the skin gently with mild soap and lukewarm water twice a day
- refrain from squeezing pimples or touching the skin unnecessarily
- use caution when shaving
- avoid excessive sun exposure that could cause tanning or burns
- using only oil-free, noncomedogenic skin care products, which do not clog the pores
- using cosmetics sparingly
- removing makeup before going to bed
- using fragrance-free, water-based, emollient products to treat dry skin
- regularly washing the hair and keeping hairspray away from the face
- wearing loose clothing made of non-synthetic fabrics, such as cotton
At Biodermal we offer focussed facials and extraction facilities, that will decongest the skin. We use our technology base equipment in conjunction with products as a treatment.